The Russian T-26 Light Tank is a reverse engineered copy of the British Vickers 6-Ton light tank. The first vehicle to enter production was the T-26A in 1931. Like the Vickers, the vehicle used either a single turret or two smaller turrets, allowing combinations of either 7.52mm or 12.7mm MG’s or larger 27mm as well as 37mm Main Guns.
Eventually Russia just stuck to one large turret with a 37mm Main Gun, which entered production in 1933 as the T-26B and later as T-26B-1 with a 45mm Main Gun.
These earlier models were riveted construction which means when struck, the rivets cook off and kill the crew. The T-26 Model 1937 adopted the safer welded construction and had an improved turret with thicker armour. A total of 12600 vehicles were built.
The vehicle was used in other variants such as command and control, flamethrower and bridge layer. The vehicle saw combat with Russian forces against the Japanese during the 1930’s and in the Finland Campaign. It also fought in the defence of the Eastern Front during World War 2 against the Germans, however by 1941 it was totally outclassed.
The Russian T-26 Light Tank Specifications (T-26 Model 1937)
Armaments: 45mm Main Gun / x2 7.62mm MG
Armour: 10 – 25mm steel plate
Dimensions: Length 4.8m / Width 2.39m / Height 2.33m
Weight: 10.46 tonne
Engine: GAZ T-26 8 Cylinder 91bhp Petrol
Top Road Speed: 28 km/h
Range: 200 km