The Italian Carro Armato M15/42 tank was an improved version of its predecessor the M15/41. Entering service in 1942, it had a number of improvements for fighting in the desert, which at the time the Italians were doing so as part of the Axis Forces in the North African Campaign.
It had a more powerful engine fitted with sand filters so that when the air-cooling system sucked in air, sand didn’t get in to the engine and damage it. It was fitted a larger number of external Jerry cans to carry water or fuel.
The hull had been lengthened, an electrical drive installed for the turret traverse and the crew entrance switched to the left side of the upper part of the hull.
From late 1943, the M15/42 was operated by the Italian Co-Belligerent Army during the Italian Civil War to force the German army out of Italy and to defeat the Italian Social Republic following the governments surrender to Allied Forces.
A total of 82 were built. A number were captured by Germany and others were converted in to self propelled assault guns.
The Carro Armato M15/42 Tank Spec’s
Armament: 47mm Main Gun, x2 Machine Guns
Armour: Steel up to 42mm thick
Dimensions: Length 4.92m / Width 2.2m / Height 2.4m
Weight: 14.6 tonne
Engine: 145ph SPA 8TM41 Diesel
Top Road Speed: 35 km/h
Operational Range: 200 km
You must be logged in to post a comment.